2D Game Design
Software: Multimedia Fusion 2.5
Software Cost: FREE
- Good internet connection
- Windows 7 or 10 up to date
- 5 gigs hard drive space
- 4 gigs ram
Multimedia Fusion is an incredibly powerful event-based programming and 2D game design engine.
Check out the world of game design!
Fusion helps students explore every area of game design so they can see what they enjoy most: Programming, Animating, Making User Interfaces, etc.
Projects take 1 of 3 paths:
- Custom 2D Zelda Game
- With 5 Dungeons & 5 Bosses
- Unique Abilities, Items, and Leveling
- Custom Mario Platformer
- With 5 Worlds & 1 Boss Battle per World
- Unique Items, Gravity Control
- Custom Pokemon Game
- 20+ Unique Monsters to Catch & Battle
- 3 Custom Gyms with Bosses
- Villages, Items, and Trainers to Battle
- Game Design Best Practices
- Arithmetic Operators
- Conditional Statement
- Random Numbers
- Create & Animate Sprites
Example Classroom Experience
- 3:00pm - 10 minute "Hook"
- A "hook" is a quick puzzle, game, or challenge tied into that day's lesson to engage students through play.
- 3:10pm - 15 minute First Lesson
- Teachers generally share their screen for lessons.
- 3:25pm - 10 minute First Experiments
- After students learn a new skill they need time to play, apply, and experiment with it.
- 3:35 - 10 minute Optional Break
- 3:45 - 15 minute Second Lesson
- 4:00 - 10 minute Second Experiment
- 4:10 - 20 minute Portfolio Project P1
- Students create a portfolio project during and in between lessons.
- 4:30 - 20 minute Portfolio Project P2
- 4:50 - 10 minute Time for Questions
Students are expected to continue working on their portfolio project for at least an hour in between classes.
Our teachers are available to answer questions in between classes if students get stuck on their project.