Software: Android Studio
Software Cost: FREE
- Good internet connection
- Windows 7 or 10 up to date
- 5 gigs hard drive space
- 6 gigs ram
In this class students use Java and Android Studio to make Android Mobile Apps that utilize the internal functions of your Android Phone or Tablet.
Students can learn how to create the next big mobile game or how to make life simpler with a handy app!
Student apps will include:
- Graphical User Interface
- Utilize a sensor
- Use rotations
- Android Studio Coding Environment
- User Interface Best Practices
- Arithmetic Operators
- If-then Statements
- Android Functions
- Custom Animations
Example Classroom Experience
- 3:00pm - 10 minute "Hook"
- A "hook" is a quick puzzle, game, or challenge tied into that day's lesson to engage students through play.
- 3:10pm - 15 minute First Lesson
- Teachers generally share their screen for lessons.
- 3:25pm - 10 minute First Experiments
- After students learn a new skill they need time to play, apply, and experiment with it.
- 3:35 - 10 minute Optional Break
- 3:45 - 15 minute Second Lesson
- 4:00 - 10 minute Second Experiment
- 4:10 - 20 minute Portfolio Project P1
- Students create a portfolio project during and in between lessons.
- 4:30 - 20 minute Portfolio Project P2
- 4:50 - 10 minute Time for Questions
Students are expected to continue working on their portfolio project for at least an hour in between classes.
Our teachers are available to answer questions in between classes if students get stuck on their project.